Living life with celiac in the northwest suburbs of Chicago


Thursday, January 27, 2011

Eggstremely Easy Egg Salad

When I tell people that I have a dairy allergy, they often ask if I can have eggs. I wondered that myself when I was first diagnosed. There is often a misconception that eggs are a dairy product because they are found in the dairy section of a grocery store alongside milk, cream, butter and cheeses. Since they are not the by-product of a cow however, they are not considered dairy.

Now, I eat them with reckless abandon. Ok not that often, but I have re-discovered their potential as a great breakfast, lunch, and dinner option. I found myself hankering for a tangy egg salad sandwich the other day, but was pressed for time in between kindergarten drop-off, errands, and kindergarten pick-up. So, here is a very quick and very easy gluten and dairy free egg salad recipe.

Egg Salad

4 hard boiled eggs
1/4 cup Hellman's Real Mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 tsp French's yellow mustard
Sea salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Chopped parsley for garnish

Remove the shells from the 4 hard boiled eggs. Chop eggs and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise and mustard. Add chopped celery and mix well. Gently add chopped eggs and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with chopped parsley as garnish.

I like to enjoy this salad with a few leaves of spinach on a toasted "Food for Life" gluten free brown rice english muffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment